The rain held off and those attending enjoyed a glass of bubbly followed by ice cream for all.
During a brief address, Chairman of the Parish Council John Honsinger thanked everyone for attending and particularly Stewart Hopkins, whose idea it had been to clear this disused piece of land exactly one year ago. Thanks to a grant, what had been thought to be a long-term project has become a reality and the village now has a delightful, safe green outdoor ‘Pocket Park’ located in an historic part of the community.
County & District Councillor Ian Corkin helped long-time resident Alison Howson unveil the new information board featuring a castle drawing by her late husband and plant the fruit trees, ably assisted by local children Amia & Zachary . A number of new benches and a picnic table have been installed, over 1000 daffodil bulbs planted and part of the area sown to create a wild flower meadow by the spring. The addition of the stocks which were a historic feature of the Pound is still a work-in-progress.
Specific thanks went to all the volunteers and contributors who had helped, including Stewart Hopkins, Paul Roberts, Alex Smith, Ian Brent-Smith, Jon Hill, Mike Hedgecox, Henri Pappenfus, Simon Goss, Rob & Pam Spencelayh, John Edwards, Jo Stalder, Dikon Leigh-Wood, Becky Adams and Dorothy Howarth.
Residents were invited to leave their comments and all were positive and very complimentary about the new village asset.