The history of Stratton dates back to the times of William the Conqueror.
Please download the “Family Tree” of the village which links to James Audley in 1244, who added his name to the village. James rebuilt the (no longer existing) Castle and maybe the Church.
In 1334 Hugh Audley succeeded James Audley, and was created Earl of Gloucester through his wife’s inheritance. The only descendent was his daughter Margaret and the Audley name in the village ceased with her marriage to Lord Stafford.
In 1431 the estate was settled to one of his descendants Humphrey, Earl of Stafford who was created 1st Duke of Buckingham “for eminent services to Henry VI”. Humphrey died in 1460 commanding the Lancastrian army.
In 1461 Henry, 2nd Duke of Buckingham succeeded to the land. He materially helped towards establishing Richard III on the throne through his intrigues in June 1483 with the Lord Mayor and citizens of London, being implicated in the murder of the Princes in the Tower. He rebelled, was betrayed and beheaded in 1483. The estate was confiscated.
The Duke’s son Edward had been under age at that time, but later found favour with Henry VIII and the estate was returned. However, he eventually fell out with the King who then granted Stratton to an earlier family branch member. After their death the estate was held by Trustees.
In 1551 the Borlase family inherited the village and although they lived in Marlow, they appear to have arranged for the building of the Manor House in the 16th Century.
In 1672 Sir John Borlase inherited and settled in the Manor House at Stratton Audley. His father had fought in the Civil Wars on the Royalist side, with the result that his estates were confiscated but later restored during the period of Parliament.
Sir John and his brother Baldwin are buried and commemorated in the Church, Sir John with the ornate baroque monument and Baldwin with a large plaque opposite the organ.
In 1763 Admiral Sir John Borlase Warren inherited the estate. He was a distinguished Naval Officer and took part in the Battle of the Nile. He ended his naval career as Admiral of the White and on retirement became an Ambassador to the Court of Russia.
More detailed information can be found at the British History on-line resource here.
Within the village there is a scheduled ancient monument, being the moated remains of the medieval Castle of the Audley family, which can be found in a field south-east of the church. There are also further earthworks south of the church, which are thought to be the site of a possible shrunken medieval village.
The entire Parish remained in single ownership until it was sold off in lots in an auction in 1890.
The Manor itself continued to be owned by single families right through to the mid 1960’s when it was divided into apartments. A new apartment block was added in the grounds and Cavendish Place was created in what had been the garden, resulting in the many large mature trees amidst the houses that you see today.
If you have further information to add regarding Stratton Audley please get in touch.